Reiketsu Kōshaku Taurinmaiā
|Debut:||Game: Strider 2|
|Voice Actors:||Toshihide Tsuchiya|
|Affiliation:||Light Sword Cypher|
Herzog Schlange (German for Duke Snake) is an enemy character from Strider 2. Original concept sketches and Japanese magazines also refer to him as the Cold-Blooded Marquis Taurine Mayer (冷血侯爵タウリンマイアー). He's the final boss in the second stage alongside the Aluminium Hydra, serving as the target whose defeat ends the stage. The character of Professor Schlange from Strider (2014) is a much more traditional mad scientist reimagining of Herzog Schlange.
A mysterious and "peculiar" man, nothing is known about Herzog Schlange, thought it can be inferred by his clothes and title that he's an aristocrat or a member of the high nobility. The lord of the German castle known as Fortress Wahnen, Schlange is a mad scientist who creates twisted and powerful mechanical monsters. An excentric man described as acting "clownish", he's a follower of Grandmaster Meio, with direct ties with the secret organization serving him and their allies. He's also a highly-patriotic man, all his actions aimed at showing off his country as an exhibit.
StoryEdit. From this location, he develops weapons and technology for the shadow organization and its allies. Following the terrorist strike in Neo Hong Kong City, Hiryu tracks down this "distorted technology" into the fortress, and infiltrates it to find more about its origins and its creator's identity.
Schlange awaits for Hiryu in the underground cavern beneath the fortress, alongside a giant mechanical Hydra, his greatest creation. Once Hiryu arrives, he commands his beast and a squad of Light Armored Guards to attack. Using a hovering platform, Schlange tries to stay away from the confrontation while ordering his creation around, but Hiryu eventually destroys the Hydra and brings Schlange down.
Injured and at Hiryu's mercy, Schlange backs away in fear as he shouts at Hiryu, calling him insanely stupid and asking him if he's not afraid of death, as defeating "[their] Lord" is impossible. Before killing him, Hiryu either replies he'll not die by his or anyone's hand (in English), or that those will be his last words (in Japanese).
- Main article: Aluminium Hydra
Herzog Schlange has no aptitudes for battle, being instead a genius that creates powerful machines to fight in his stead. In battle, he simply hovers around the area, commanding his creation to attack while trying to escape Hiryu's blade.
Defeating the Hydra first will cause Schlange's platform to catch on fire and slowly drift aimlessly, making him an easy target. If Schlange is defeated first, however, all active Hydra heads will freeze in place and break apart.
- He's the favorite among the objects created by the game's object designer Hiroaki Minobe.
- The mechanical 6-headed Hydra is inspired by the Japanese mythological 8-headed serpent known as "Yamata No Orochi".
- ↑ Capcom (22 Feb 2014). Strider Hiryu Visual Chronicle (Japanese). Pg. 42
- ↑ MVP (June 2000). "Amusement Knowledge Chapter: Strider Hiryu 2" (Japanese). Arcadia Vol. 2. Pg. 97.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Capcom (Sept 1999). JAMMA AM Show Game Flyer (English).
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Capcom (December 13, 1999; Arcade). Strider Hiryu 2 (Japanese). Stage 2 Briefing
- ↑ Capcom (1999). "Capcom Staff Messages". Capcom Secret File #26: Strider Hiryu 2 (Japanese). Pg. 11